Sunday, July 14, 2013

You have to love yourself....

I have often found that I did not fit in. I was the funny, silly, creative child growing up. I was more interested in being different, than I was in fitting in. My mom has told me that when I was born and growing up, my grandma once said, "She is your different child." The natural hair journey is all a part of being different. I still have family members and friends who see me and wonder what I'm thinking by wearing my hair natural.

The fact is that all of us need to love who God has created us to be. We may not fit into some cookie cutter box, but we are each very special. I have talked to so many women and they do not value themselves because they are so afraid of what other people say or think. If you love yourself, then you will treat yourself better. If you love yourself, then you will respect your body. If you love yourself, then you will be mindful of who you allow into your life.

If I am to be natural, then it goes beyond hair, it's a inward thing. I may have straight hair or curly and that shouldn't matter. It's about embracing myself. I realize that I need to embrace my curves and bootyliciousness (my made up word). I am beautiful, I am strong, and I was perfectly created by God. The fact is, you were created perfectly too.

No comments:

Post a Comment