Sunday, September 8, 2013

Managing your little naturalista...

As a mother of a little curly girl and a curly girl myself, I have decided to drop some of my personal tips to my fellow natural divas. One of the main problems that many mothers of natural girls face is, "how do I tame the mane?" You can tame the main in five simple steps. This is not some guaranteed, fool proof system but it has worked for me over the past 9 years so try it and I think it can work for you.

1. Moisture!!! If the girl has curls and you try to comb her overly dry hair, then you will have lots of tears and a huge headache (the headache comes from trying to deafen the cries of pain and agony). You have first style it with damp hair following washing it. I comb her hair after I wash it and once it's braided, it's going to be a lot easier to comb.

2. Braid it at night (or twist it). If you have a little active curly girl (as most little girls are) then her hair can get frizzy and tangled overnight. When she wakes up in the morning, her unbraided hair will turn into a bird's nest. You have to make sure that you section off the hair at night and braid it, especially if she has rocked the afro during the day. If she had her hair braided during the day, then just leave it overnight.

3. Comb it. It's so quick and easy to want to comb the little one's hair once a week and I do it too, but if the hair goes too long without being comb it can develop knots and make combing it more difficult. Be sure to keep up with the maintenance of your child's hair. It may seem like it takes more time, but in the long run you will actually be saving time.

4. Have fun with it. I have never had my daughter's hair professionally braided, but I have personally put her hair in beads, braided it, put it in pig tails and many more. Watch youtube and check out new styles.

5. Teach her to love and embrace her curls. The television and media had bombarded our girls with images that tell them that they are not enough. The images they see, tell them that they need to look a certain way to be accepted. We need to teach our daughters to love themselves for who God created them to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment